About Me

My photo
Bossy, Independent, Stressed, Crazy about my husband and family. This blog is about the everyday life of our family of 2.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dad vs. the Groundhogs

I love my Dad.   B was working this past weekend, so I headed north to spend some quality time with Dad on his "special" weekend.  He informed me Friday night that he had a small groundhog problem.  Seems that a family had moved in under his porch and he needed to have them vacate the premises, one way or another. He felt that they were mocking him by not going into hiding when he mowed the lawn the night before.   He had a "have-a-heart" trap set up with a red hot dog in it as bait.  Saturday morning rolled around and nothing was in the trap..but the hotdog had disappeared!  These were some crafty animals.

Dad was whipping my butt at cribbage and I happened to glance outside and noticed a groundhog.  Dad took off for his bedroom so he could get a clear shot, grabbed his gun, slowly cranked the window open (which scared the groundhog) and waited.  I was not real sure how great of a shot he was - I don't really remember him shooting a whole lot when we were kids.  He could have hit the gas grill, the porch, the cellar doors, or who knows what else!   Bang!  I look out and see nothing.  Dad just missed, and his uninvited roommates went back into hiding.  We went back to my losing game of cribbage and sure enough, a groundhog popped back up outside just a few minutes later.  Off Dad went to his bedroom, bang!  One down.

Before days end, the world was minus 3 ground hogs.  Dad was feeling like a big game hunter.  And I realized that you can take the girl out of the County (and country) but you can't take the County out of the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment