About Me

My photo
Bossy, Independent, Stressed, Crazy about my husband and family. This blog is about the everyday life of our family of 2.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

With a mile to spare

So I've been trying to see how long I can go without filling my gas tank in my vehicle.  We filled it on our way home from vacation almost 2 weeks ago.  In a normal day, I drive maybe 4 miles round trip - I'm pretty lucky to work so close to home.  So I've been nursing the gas mileage.  Well, today the light came on.  You know the one that means you best be heading to a gas station pretty soon. 

Knowing this, and knowing that the monitor said I had about 20 miles left to go before I was going to be stranded on the side of the road, I decided to wait til tomorrow to fill up.  This was a great plan and would have worked, except B decided that we needed to go get his bike from his cousin's house tonight. 

So, we headed off.  B made a comment that we had 20 miles left.  I asked how far it was to his cousin's house (I always forget - oh well!).  He said we would should be fine.  Well....we weren't.  The country, windy, hilly road to their house is a gas hog and we chewed up 8 miles of our 20 before we were even half way there.  It was on 10 miles left as we coasted into their yard.  We didn't dare shut off the engine, so I ran to their house, explained why we couldn't stay and we threw the bike in the back. 

Off we coasted down their driveway.  Oops, down to 9 miles now.  We coasted down hills in neutral, drove 25 when we needed to use the gas and watched it tick down to 5, 4, 3 miles left. 

We made it to the gas station right after it turned to 1 mile left on our tank of gas.  How numb are we?  We were so proud of ourselves for making it...yep, we're numb!  But at least we didn't have to walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment