About Me

My photo
Bossy, Independent, Stressed, Crazy about my husband and family. This blog is about the everyday life of our family of 2.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

I had no idea

This morning I attended a memorial service for a work friend's husband. He was a quiet, unassuming man and I hadn't really known him that well.  A hello in the hallway at the office, a little chat about the weather.  And then my friend asked me to help proof his obituary and I discovered that this was no ordinary man.  He had been in the service, worked in education at some of the highest levels, and then ended his career as a director of a nonprofit agency.  He had been a police officer and a bartender.  He loved his family, fishing, and to help people.  He had served in the boards of numerous nonprofit agencies and even at the state and federal level.   At this mornings service, which was a breakfast - his favorite meal and he wanted everyone to be able to enjoy the rest of their day, hence a morning memorial - he was honored by those who spoke as a calm, caring and thoughtful person.  Someone who put the needs of others above himself.  Someone who listened, thought about it, and then spoke.

I wish I had done more than just said hi in the hallway.  I wish I had taken the time to know him better.  I'm glad that I can be here to help my friend through this time, and I'm hoping I can learn more about her husband as we talk.  

This has been a huge reminder to me that we should never judge a book by its cover.  I thought he was a nice man, but truth be told, he was a great man.

I am hoping to take this morning's lessons to heart.  Take the time to get to know those around you and do something for somebody every day.  Thank you, Gil for those lessons!

No comments:

Post a Comment