About Me

My photo
Bossy, Independent, Stressed, Crazy about my husband and family. This blog is about the everyday life of our family of 2.

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Lessons at the State Game

I grew up in a small town where basketball was king.  The goal was to make it the tournament, win the Gold Ball and be state champ.  I never played on the court (unless it was during phys ed!), but I've cheered, screamed, and cried at more than one tourney game.  I cheered for my friends during school, my brother and sister during their high school careers.  And now, I've cheered for my oldest niece and nephew.   I have 4 more nieces/nephews to go..and I plan to be at those games being the crazy aunt too!

Yesterday I watched my nephew's team try for the gold ball.  This is a team that wasn't suppose to make it to that level...would count themselves lucky to make it to the tourney at all.  But after 3 overtime games, winning over competition that had beat them during the regular season, they made it to the big one.  I wish I could write that it was a Cinderella finish and that they carried the gold ball home with them on the big yellow bus.  But that didn't happen.  They lost, not by a lot, but a loss nonetheless.  And in that loss, I watched these young men show us adults how to handle a defeat.   There were tears, but there was also no slumping in their chairs.  They accepted their runner up trophy and showed it proudly to the audience.  They might not have been yelling and smiling, but 2nd in the state really isn't that bad.  I don't know if I've been 2nd in the state in anything!

I sent my nephew a text after the game that told him how proud I was of him.  He scored 4 points, he made some great rebounds, and he's a handsome devil.  Oh and I also told him I was proud that he managed to foul one of the opposing team's players were the sun doesn't shine.  See what I mean?   I need to learn what those boys already know...how to be gracious in defeat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment