About Me

My photo
Bossy, Independent, Stressed, Crazy about my husband and family. This blog is about the everyday life of our family of 2.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Thunderstorms

My mom was scared to death of thunderstorms.  If she heard a rumble of thunder, we had to go unplug everything in the house - TV, radio, lamps.  About the only things she'd leave plugged in were the refrigerator and the stove.  If the phone rang, you didn't answer it - the lightening could travel through the lines and into our ear.   We had to sit in the middle of the room and play quietly.  She would knit frantically - clicking and clacking her needles.  And please don't think about running water, being near water or drinking water during a storm!

I can remember her getting us up in the middle of the night and making us sit in the car during thunderstorms, because we were suppose to be safe on the rubber wheels.  Writing it now, makes me realize how extreme her fear of thunder and lightening really was.

All of this has added up to me not being a lover of thunderstorms either.  I turn off the TV (I don't unplug it, at least).  I sit quietly, away from the windows.   I avoid touching water at all costs.  I basically drive B crazy during a storm. 

We have severe thunderstorms in our area tonight and through out most of the state.    I am sitting here, with the TV off, avoiding the windows and not using my phone.  I did call my sister earlier, in between storms, so I'm a bit braver then my mom was.  B, on the other hand, is sitting in his Red Sox man cave, watching a game, drinking water and I bet he's even made a phone call or two! 

I guess opposites do attract!

No comments:

Post a Comment